Monday, April 30, 2012

City of Bones (Book One of The Mortal Instruments)by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones
Book One - The Mortal Instruments
Written by Cassandra Clare
“Declarations of love amuse me. Especially when unrequited.”
―    Jace, City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


I came across this book when searching for other dystopia novels after reading and falling in love with the Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins.  In my opinion, it wasn't a true dystopia novel, but after reading it, I can't imagine not reading the rest of the series as well.  I also found that it's in the pre-production stages of becoming a film (The Mortal Instruments) starring Lily Collins and Jaimie Campbell Bower.  I have to say I'm in the group of avid readers who are actually enjoying seeing so many of my favorite books turned into films.  A film rarely is a completely accurate portrayal of a book.  That being said, I still enjoy seeing the characters I've grown to love come to life on the big screen, whether or not the screenwriter takes a few creative liberties here and there. 

The basis of the Mortal Instruments series revolves around a little known warrior race, the Shadowhunters. It is the job of the dwindling Shadowhunters to rid the world of demons. City of Bones may contain all the supernatural characters that you'd expect to find in a book of this genre:  fairies, vampires, werewolves, witches.  However, it's similarities end there.  Cassandra Clare paints a vividly accurate picture of each character without boring you with lengthy descriptions. 

What makes Cassandra's storytelling style unique is how she manages to combine the predictable dangers and drama that surround the main characters, with some very improbable surprises. She has this amazing ability to get you, the reader, to a point where you feel that the main characters are practically immortal, because they have survived so many impossible situations already.  Then, when you least suspect it, she reveals their humanity and shows you how easily they can be brought to their knees.  It was this rare skill which kept me at the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment