Wednesday, August 1, 2012

City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare

“I don't care," Clary said. "He'd do it for me. Tell me he wouldn't. If I were missing-"
"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig you out of the ashes. I know," Alec said.”
-- City of Lost Souls, Mortal Instruments #5, by Cassandra Clare

In the latest saga of the Mortal Instruments series, Clary and Jace must face a whole new slew of obstacles even more dangerous than their previous adventures have been. Clary always seems to inspire loyalty among her counterparts, and to bring those together working towards a common goal, who would otherwise be opposed to one another if not outright enemies. Clary manages to transcend those lines that her predecessors have so carefully drawn to separate Downworlders from The Clave, angels and demons, the young and the old, etc.

The Mortal Instruments is also first and foremost a love story that just doesn't get old. I keep coming back, time and again, hoping that this will be the book where Jace and Clary finally manage to be together, to make it through to the other side in one piece. It's that typical star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet theme, that always leaves you hoping that maybe, this time, they will get their chance.

Clare is a great writer, and her latest book is no exception. Her characters become more real to you with each book she writes, and while I wouldn't call them predictable, I would say that they respond to the situations they are faced with in a way that is true to their character. Clare has outdone herself again!

The unpredictability of the series is something that is still astonishing to me. That, even after five books, Clare still manages to surprise me time and again. She is a creative genius when it comes to plot twists and keeping the audience captive. I always read her books so incredibly quickly because, so much like Suzanne Collins, the writer of the Hunger Games, her timing and pacing is incredibly astute.

I cannot believe I will have to wait until March 2014 before I can get a copy of the next book. It's going to be a long year! I think I may end up tackling her other newer series that begins with Clockwork Angel, I believe. Perhaps it will help while the time away until the next of the Mortal Instruments is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment