Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Masquerade (Blue Bloods #2) by Melissa de la Cruz

A brain with no heart and no reasoning ... well, nothing is more meaningless.” Masquerade (Blue Bloods #2) by Melissa de la Cruz

I'm still not completely won over on this series yet. I'm somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, I think the story is a little rushed and doesn't go into detail enough about the basic plot. A lot of stuff is just skimmed over without ever getting very deep. I think that Cruz could have replaced a lot of the "gossip girl" fashion and society tid bits with a deeper plot and the book would have been a lot more appealing to my tastes. It's not that these details make the story bad, they just don't make it any better, in my opinion. Besides, gossip girl has its own books, if I want to read about Manhattan socialite society. I can see why this particular type of book is in demand though, and there may be a large audience who prefers the books light and overflowing with descriptions of the latest trends and how the elite interact with the world.

Cruz did manage to slip in a few twists and turns to the plot, but nothing super exciting yet. Perhaps the future books will show Cruz grow as a writer, like the Cast's did in the House of Night novels, each book getting a little bit better than the one before.

I am curious enough to keep reading the series to see what happens next, and hoping that future books are more intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment