Monday, October 8, 2012

Clockwork Angel (#1 Infernal Devices), by Cassandra Clare


I’d decided to begin reading The Infernal Devices series after I finished reading all of the available Mortal Instruments series by Clare.  I have thoroughly enjoyed all five of the Mortal Instruments series and honestly have no idea how I will manage to survive until March of 2014 to read City of Heavenly Fire!  After reading the Clockwork Angel, I can already tell that I’m going to have a hard time waiting on the releases of future books in this series as well.  The Infernal Devices is a prequel to the Mortal Instrument series and it chronicles the earlier years of the Clave when the Accords were still new and Magnus Bane was still in love with Camille Belcourt. Ha!

Clockwork Angel was impressive.  It was nothing like what I expected it to be.  I've already fallen in love with this generation of Shadow Hunters and with the elusive Tessa Gray.  I fell in love with Clare’s signature style when I read City of Bones, but I had a hard time pinpointing what it was about her writing that made it superior to others in the young adult genre.  I think I’m finally able to explain it, after reading 6 of her books.   

Clare manages to weave a thrilling story full of surprising plot twists in language that all readers can enjoy and understand.  Reading Clare is always a pleasure, because she allows the creativity of the plot lead the story, rather than complicated back story or contrived words.  I’m not saying that Clare has a limited vocabulary, quite the contrary; Clare uses the language like it’s meant to be used, choosing the words that best compliment her story-line.  What Clare doesn't do is complicate things.  She keeps things simple and straightforward, allowing the story-line to grow in complexity naturally over the course of the series, instead of trying to explain everything all at once, in one book.  And she uses terms already widely known, rather than making up a bunch of words that the reader has to learn in order to understand the story-line.  And Clare’s stories are always magic.  I can’t wait to see what happens next in Clockwork Prince. 


1 comment:

  1. having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there arent a lot good supply like this.
    Nice post ! Thanks for, posting on my blog mate! I shall email you some time. I did not know that.
    Sarah Berger

    ReplyDelete