Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

Fahrenheit 451
Written by Ray Bradbury

“With school turning out more runners, jumpers, racers, tinkerers, grabbers, snatchers, fliers, and swimmers instead of examiners, critics, knowers, and imaginative creators, the word 'intellectual,' of course, became the swear word it deserved to be.” Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

As far as classics go, this wasn't my favorite. I think that it's one of those books that everyone should probably read in high school, not for its entertainment, but for what it teaches you. Akin to 1984 (which I actually enjoyed much much more than Fahrenheit 451) it's one of those books that reminds us of what is important in this world, and hopefully keeps us, as a society, from making any truly horrible choices. A warning to the future generations just how important education and knowledge is.

I only had two major problems with this book that kept me from rating it a little higher. The first problem was that I felt it referenced the Bible and the worth of that book way too much. The bible, as far as moral teaching goes, is one of the worst books out there. It condones all sorts of horrible crimes like rape, incest, abandonment, genocide, etc. (I could go on, but I think you get the point). It's filled with contradictions. I understand why Bradbury probably felt like it should play a significant role in the story, assuming he was a Christian. Personally though, for me, it was a turn off. It diminished the overall message I thought the book was attempting to make.

The second problem I had was that it was too dry for my tastes. The plot wasn't very exciting to me. The characters weren't compelling. It just wasn't that great. Ok, but not great.

I'm sure that I'll get some negative feedback on this one, but you can't help what you don't like. Perhaps it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment