Monday, July 9, 2012

For Keeps, by Natasha Friend



For Keeps
Written by Natasha Friend
"I have known Liv since we were six years old, when we first met on the swings at our neighborhood playground. She introduced herself as Olivia Sarah Weiss-Longo, told me she had two daddies, and said my hair looked like Snow White's. How could we not be best friends?" - For Keeps, by Natasha Friend
I was actually looking for a different book by Friend, when I happened upon this one. Since the book I'd been looking for was already checked out, I grabbed this on instead and figured I'd give it a try. I wanted a coming-of-age novel, and it looked like it might fit the bill.
I found For Keeps to be rather heartwarming. It documents the relationship between a teenage girl and her mother. I'm sure many readers can attest to their own tumultuous relationships with one or both parents so this is one of those books that almost anyone can relate to. Friend threw in some interesting side characters, sub-plots, and the usual amount of teen angst.
I thought this was both honest and sweet, while being a light quick read. If you're a teen looking for a book with a storyline and characters that are both witty and charming, or an adult longing to revisit your misspent youth, this is the book for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment