Monday, July 9, 2012

Going Bovine, by Libba Bray

Going Bovine
Written by Libba Bray
"In a world like this one, only the random makes sense."--Going Bovine, Libba Bray
I must admit that this book really wasn't my cup of tea. I rarely go for the science fiction genre, but when I read the synopsis, I thought that it seemed to be more of a coming of age than a science fiction. I was mistaken.
Bearing that in mind, I did manage to read the entire thing, even if it did take me several months to do so.
It wasn't that Bray was a bad storyteller, or that the book lacked imagination. On the contrary, it was an intriguing story, filled with creativity. Bray's writing style and her ability to keep the plot moving at enough of a clip to keep you biting was the only reason I was able to finish it. The only fault I can really find with the book at all is the genre. I just really loathe science fiction.
I loved the main characters, each were utterly fabulous and full of quirky and crazy issues. The ending really through me for a loop although it was well foreshadowed (perhaps I just don't "get it" because of the whole science fiction thing). Bray's writing was superb. I really wish I could have given it a better score! If you do like science fiction, even a little bit, you will probably get a kick out of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment