Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey (Book One of Fifty Shades), by E.L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey
Book One of Fifty Shades Trilogy
Written by E.L. James
"What is it about elevators?" Fifty Shades of Grey, E.L. James

Well, I'm no stranger to the trashy romance novel. I read tons of them in high school. So when I first heard about this book, I really didn't think it would live up to the hype. Could it really be that smutty? Would it manage to embarrass even me?

Well, I have to say that I did like the book. It was the first book I'd ever read with the dominant/submissive theme. I have to say that some parts of that aspect of the book bewildered me. I personally couldn't understand how anyone could enjoy being a submissive. It felt offensive and demeaning to me. And if I'm being incredibly honest, I found some of the behavior of the dominant abhorrent, borderline abusive, and downright horrific.

So, now you are probably wondering what on earth I did like about the book, after reading the previous statements. I liked the love story. I felt a kinship with the characters. By the time I finished the book I was laughing and crying with both Anastasia and Christian. It is that precise attachment to the characters that will keep me coming back. I want to know what happens to them. I want to know if their dysfunctional relationship will work. I want to see them overcome this bizarre (to me) relationship and build something better, something healthy and loving. I want Christian to learn how to love and Anastasia to learn how to stand up for herself.

There I go again, the perpetual optimist.


No comments:

Post a Comment