Wednesday, May 30, 2012

City of Glass (Book Three of Mortal Instruments), by Cassandra Clare


City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
City of Glass
Book Three of Mortal Instruments
Written By Cassandra Clare

“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.” -- Jace, City of Glass (Book Three of Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare

This is the third book of the Mortal Instruments. If you haven't read the first two you should probably stop right now, because this review will inevitably spoil the earlier books for you if you haven't read them. I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire series thus far, and I definitively recommend it. (Click here for the review of book one)

Clare has done it again. She kept me at the edge of my seat throughout the latest saga of The Mortal Instruments. We began pretty much, right where the other book left off, with Clary desperate to get the cure for her mother, and Clary and Jace seemingly destined to disagree on whether or not they should ignore their feelings for one another. Can I just say that I have been tortured with them throughout the series thus far, as they battle between their feelings and what they feel is acceptable? I just ache for them when I see how heart wrenching their determination to behave like they are just siblings because they believe they are doing what is right. I have come close to tears over and over again as I read about their struggle. To have finally felt real love just to have it jerked away. And even though you know their love is "wrong", you just somehow want it to be different.

In City of Glass, Clare once again reveals more unexpected plot twists that leave you amazed and shocked. New characters are introduced alongside the regulars that we've gotten to know in previous books. Clare continues to dive more deeply into the past of the Clave and the main characters personal histories. We also continue to see the growth of Jace, Clary, Isabelle, Alec, and Simon as they navigate the normal teenage problems as well as those that are specifically tailored to their, shall we say, unique characteristics.

I cannot recommend this book and this series enough. It's an awesome read, cover to cover, just like the first two were. I'm anxiously awaiting getting my hands on the 4th book.

No comments:

Post a Comment