Friday, May 11, 2012

City of Ashes (Book Two of the Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes
Book Two of the Mortal Instruments
Written by Cassandra Clare
"It doesn't matter how many time you say it. It'll still be true." (Clary)
"And it doesn't matter what you won't let me say, that'll still be true too." (Jace)
-- City of Ashes, Book Two of The Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare

I want to start out by saying that if you haven't read Book One of The Mortal Instruments, City of Bones, and stop right now, go read that review, and that book, and then come back. There is no way to properly review this book without mentioning things that are a given at the end of City of Bones, and if you haven't read it, this is going to ruin it for you.



 

It's true, Elizabeth Cook is right; sometimes it takes balls to be a woman. Wow, it was a totally brass move on Cassandra Clare's part to write the ending she wrote on the last book. I thought of this song immediately when I read the ending. I wanted to comment so badly on it in my review of City of Bones, but I refuse to write a spoiler review that can only be safely read after you have already read the book. It defeats the purpose of a review, in my opinion.

City of Ashes starts off, with everyone still pretty shaken up over the startling revelation that Jace and Clary are actually related, closely related, like brother and sister related. The tension between these two is insane throughout the entire book, as they struggle to come to terms with their shared parentage and what it means to their burgeoning relationship. I'm still not quite sure how Clare manages this, but your heart is in your throat and tears come to your eyes as you read, because no matter how "wrong" you think their love is, a part of you desperately wants it to work out for them. You were just as touched by their passionate and intense feelings as they were and, like Jace and Clary; you're not quite ready to let them go.

I liked the complexity of a few of the newly introduced characters like the Inquisitor, Max, and the Lightwoods. Clare reveals more of the intriguing back story on Valentine's Circle, so we're starting to understand him little better. Although there weren't as many surprises in City of Ashes, she did manage to sneak in a few curve balls when I wasn't looking, and still left enough in question ,as the book came to a close, that I'm dying to go grab the next installment. I think that I may have even enjoyed City of Ashes more than City of Bones, which I would not have thought was possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment