Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rebecca's Promise (Book One of Adam's County), by Jerry S. Eicher

Rebecca's Promise
Book One of Adam's Country
Written by Jerry S. Eicher
I have loved Amish fiction for awhile, and at one point I was told that Eicher was a good writer of Amish Fiction. I wasn't disappointed. 

One thing I absolutely loved was that Eicher was not afraid to assign some really controversial points of view to his Amish characters.  Usually in Amish fiction the most "out of line" a character gets is perhaps listening to music or dating a Mennonite.  There were several characters in Rebecca's Promise that really broke the mold of Amish stereotype and I absolutely loved it.  I loved how much more human Eicher's characters were because of it.  I also loved that these weren't shunned amish, or amish teens on their Rumspringa.  These were full fledged baptized members of the Amish community who were behaving in these highly questionable ways.  It was really cool to see an Amish book take that kind of twist.

I was slightly disappointed by a few plot twists, but I enjoyed how he left it open for the next book in the series.  His unique characters are enough to bring me back for more.  I will be reading the next book in the series soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment