Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Silence (Book One of The Queen of the Dead), by Michelle Sagara

Silence
Book One of The Queen of the Dead
Written by Michelle Sagara

"She wanted to scream at her father, and screaming at her father was something she'd done, in one way or another, since she was the age of the baby in Allison's arms. But it wouldn't help anything, and it wouldn't change anything." Emma, Silence, Book One of The Queen of the Dead, by Michelle Sagara

I was so excited when found out I'd won an uncorrected proof of this new book for free as a Goodreads First Read Giveaway. I am always excited to try out new authors and read new books.

This was only the second time I've encountered a series dealing with necromancy, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the less gothic morbid take that Sagara took on the subject in comparison with the other series I had read (Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong). It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the scarier version I'd previously been exposed to, but I always get excited when an author takes the road less travelled.

The hodge podge cast of characters in Silence also reminded me a lot of the group of teens portrayed in the House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast. I have not been able to tear myself away from the House of Night novels, even when a few of the books had less exciting or less believable plots, because I had to know what happened to the close knit group of friends next. I love how each of the characters has several unique traits that lend the group something special and allow them to accomplish the unimaginable together. At the core of this friendship is a loyalty that allows them to get through just about any obstacle and come out on the other end, still friends. I look forward to seeing the unique characters Sagara introduced in Silence, in the future Queen of the Dead books, and seeing that side plot of their friendship as it grows and changes throughout the series.

The title of the next book in this series has yet to be released, to the best of my knowledge. I will be keeping my eyes peeled though, because now that I've met this group, I can't wait to find out what happens next. Sagara made sure to leave you with the slightest tidbit at the end of Silence to leave me in anxious anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment