Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cold Magic (Book One of Spiritwalker), by Kate Elliott

Cold Magic
Book One of Spiritwalker
Written by Kate Elliott
I have to admit it took me a few tries to get into this book. I'm not entirely sure why. The characters were intriguing. My interest was piqued, but I wasn't hooked yet. If you're feeling a little bogged down by the necessary back history, and you just aren't sure, I think you should keep reading. I was glad I did. I am not going to reveal what changed my thoughts or when it happened because I honestly think that was part of the books charm. If you read it, you'll understand what I mean. If you're not sure and aren't willing to trust me, then don't read it. I'm not going to twist your arm.

It's been awhile since I read an alternative history fiction book. I was happy to slip into the genre again. I enjoy history quite a bit, and I enjoy seeing what might have been, had certain things in history not happened exactly the way they did happen. It's fun to see what direction the author will go with major historic events. The alternative history in this book isn't one I'm super familiar with, dealing with the Romans and Phoenicians, but I still found it interesting.

Elliott had plenty of interesting characters that were easy to fall in love with. She managed to make them very human and to describe them in such a way that you were drawn into their particular stories and felt a kinship with them.

I know I didn't write as much about this book as I usually write, but I seriously feel that it's better with this one. If you enjoy alternative history and supernatural phenomenon, then just try it out for yourself. I was not disappointed and I don't think you'd be either. I don't want to ruin the book for you, so that's all I'm going to say about this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment