Friday, June 15, 2012

Specials (Book Three of Uglies), by Scott Westerfeld

Specials
Book Three of Uglies
Written by Scott Westerfeld
"I love you all. But it's time to say good-bye, for now. Be careful with the world, or the next time we meet, it might get ugly."--Tally Youngblood, Specials, Book Three of Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld



I think I can say with absolute certainty that this is my favorite book so far of the Uglies series. This is book three, so if you haven't read any of the other books in the series, I highly suggest you do so before continuing on with this review. Check out my review of the first book in the series, Uglies.


Unfortunately, I cannot reveal why this book was my favorite of the series because it would take away your opportunity to discover why it is the best yourself. I think it would do you a great disservice for me to take that away from you, which is why, when I finish reading Extras (final book of Uglies series), I plan on doing a spoiler-filled review on the entire series. There are just so many aspects of the books that I haven't been able to really discuss for fear of ruining the book for future readers.


Pretties ended with Shay capturing Tally and, against her will, changing her into a Special. Westerfeld starts Specials off; very similar to the way he began Pretties, with Tally already pretty much adjusted to her new role as a Special in the elite Cutters group led by Shay. Just as he did not detail her first days as a Pretty, he didn't detail her first days as a Special either. Tally's metamorphosis from Pretty to Special is the most extreme change she's undergone yet, and I was drawn into her new life just as quickly as I'd been in each of the other books. I'm sure that after reading the first two books yourself, you don't really need any more encouragement to read this one, so just go read the book. I don't think you'll be disappointed.




No comments:

Post a Comment