Monday, June 4, 2012

Pandemonium (Book Two of Delirium), by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium
Book Two of Delirium
Written by Lauren Oliver

“If you’re smart, you care. And if you care, you love.” -- Pandemonium, Book Two of Delirium, by Lauren Oliver

If you haven't already read it, I suggest you start with Delirium, the first book in this series, and after you've read it, come back. This review does contain spoilers from the first book in the series.

Pandemonium has a really cool style that I greatly enjoyed, that is totally different from Delirium. The chapters are labeled either then or now, and Lena (the main character), splits her story between them. The "then" chapters start where Delirium left off, with Lena's escape into the Wild. The "now" chapters deal with Lena now, about a year or so after her initial escape. I thought this was a great way to tell the story because it kept it interesting and helped to show you how and why Lena has changed into the person she is now. These brief glances into that difficult and trying time for her really help you to understand her better.

I felt like Oliver did a good job of telling Lena's story. I loved watching her progress in dealing with what happened to Alex at the end of Delirium and seeing her struggle to make her way in a world that was completely foreign to her. The introduction of new characters was spot on. Oliver describes these new characters as Lena sees them. As Lena gets to know and understand these new characters better, so does the reader. There were also many twists and turns throughout the plot that kept me guessing (although one of the biggest twists I saw coming from a mile away-go figure).

Needless to say I was sad when I saw that Requiem isn't scheduled to be released until February 2013, so it's a long wait until I get to find out how Lena deals with the latest unbelievable trial fate has tasked her with. I hope to see a few of the more mysterious characters of the first two books get fleshed out in Requiem.

No comments:

Post a Comment