Thursday, June 21, 2012

Skinnydipping, by Bethenny Frankel


Skinnydipping: A Novel
Skinnydipping
Written by Bethenny Frankel

I'd like to start by saying that I love Bethenny Frankel. I watched her in The Real Housewives, in Bethenny Ever After, and read her "A Place of Yes" memoir-type book. So when I saw she had written a novel, I was anxious to see what her fiction writing would turn out to be.

I loved Skinnydipping! It was funny; it was irreverent, and occasionally inappropriate. That's what I love about Bethenny. I also liked how the story was written in an almost memoir like style. A few times I even forgot this wasn't a true story, although Faith, the main character, did seem to have a journey similar to the one Bethenny herself had. But I didn't find that it detracted from the story. The infamous "they" always say to write what you know, and it seems Frankel took that advice and came up with a really great first novel.

I would love to see more novels from Frankel because I think she has a spark and that she could really be a contender in the chick lit genre. For me, Frankel is like the perfect combination of Jennifer Weiner (Writer of many chic lit novels and short stories) and Jenny Lawson (Writer of The Bloggess blog and recent memoir) who are both great story tellers in their own right. I could see her fitting into this genre and excelling. I don't believe that chick lit is dead or dying.

This is really just a story of discovering who you are. I think it's a popular theme in this genre, and it's one that will continue to flourish. Figuring out who we are is something that we can all relate to. No matter the age or stage in life, as human beings, we're all struggling to figure out how we fit into our world and what we should be doing. Skinnydipping tells the journey of Faith to find out the answers to those same questions and ends with her achieving that peace that comes with being in the right place, doing the right thing, at the right moment. Even if this feeling rarely lasts forever, it gives us all hope that we'll experience our own moments of rightness when all is well in our world and everything feels like it is exactly as it should be.




No comments:

Post a Comment