Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor, by Lucy Christopher


Christopher makes Stolen feel like a memoir rather than a fictional novel because Gemma tells the story of her kidnapping through a letter written to Ty, her captor. I loved that Christopher managed to make me feel like I was inside Gemma’s mind, as she chronicled her experience from the very beginning, sometimes day by day, sometimes moment by moment.  Her unique point of view allowed me to better understand just what a kidnap victim could experience. 

Throughout her letter to Ty, Gemma is brutally honest.  She reveals that there were confusing and complicated layers of emotion going on at different points in her story.  Because I've never been kidnapped, I cannot truly know if Gemma's experience is as authentic as it seemed to be, but regardless of it’s authenticity, I was very impressed with Christopher and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment