Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy #1)


I had this one for awhile before I picked it up.  It’s another one of those stories that I thought might not be too great since it was my impression that it was telling another fairy tale that has been retold so many times, in so many ways.  I also had been reading Game of Thrones and I was afraid it would be too similar to it and bore me.  I had heard reviews that it was great from some family members and friends, but nothing too specific.  Well, I couldn’t have agreed more after reading it that it was great.  I so wish that the rest of the series was available, it’s going to be a long wait for this one to come out in 2013 (I’m beginning to think this is the story of my life, LOL).

I picked this up thinking it would be a new twist on the classic Prince and the Pauper story which I know and love.  Well I do now know that I love The False Prince, but it really didn’t turn out to be the story I thought it would be going in.  Instead there are more twists and turns in this short page turner than I could have imagined.  Many times I thought I may have it all figured out just to read another page and feel completely uncertain again.  Nielson is great at intrigue; if she ever quits her job as a writer she may be able to get one as an international spy.  Her story was simply told, but the plot and the characters were anything but one dimensional. 

I also appreciated the way that she left some things hanging out there in the balance, things that could go either way in the next book, while making sure that you still had that feeling of a “happy ending”.  So many writers seem almost afraid to give you a “happy ending” because you might not come back for the next book. Nielson, on the other hand, lets her writing speak for itself by being unafraid of giving the reader the “happy ending” they deserve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment